Current Viewers

Total Hits

Sitemap Cookies Home About Us Young People Services What's On Members

Page last updated 15 October, 2017

© Malvern Baptist Church, 2017

The Brigades

The Brigades share their long history with Malvern Baptist Church, from their beginnings in 1920’s to their reforming in 1980’s. MBC is the official sponsoring church and past ministers have been the Brigade chaplain. We frequently host Brigade services and many of our young people have been members of both companies.


The Malvern Boys Brigade

The 1st Malvern Company was re-formed in 1988 after an absence of 49 years. There were at least three Boys' Life Brigade Companies in Malvern prior to 1926 when the BLB united with the Boys' Brigade. Prior to the outbreak of World War II there were 4 BB Companies in Malvern. So far as is known there were Companies at Lady Huntingdon's Church on Worcester Road, Malvern Baptist Church on Abbey Road, The Gospel Hall on Newtown Road (now a pet/garden shop), and at Somers Park Avenue Methodist Church.

The present 1st Malvern Company is based at Malvern Baptist Church and so takes its name from the Company originally based there. That original Company was formed in 1923 as a BLB Company, joining with the BB in 1926. So that makes the present 1st Malvern 88 years old 90 years in 2013 the 25th Anniversary of its resumption.






The Malvern Girls Brigade

The Girls' Brigade commenced in Malvern in 1920 as far as we know.  Then they were called the Girls' Life Brigade a sister organisation to the Boys' Life Brigade who it is understood commenced later around 1923.

There were in addition several companies of the Church Lads and Girls Brigades operating in the town (i.e. the Church of England's equivalent to the Brigades).  They were at St Mary's and Holy Trinity.  The BB and GB went into decline during the war years and never recovered until GB started in 1983 when Miss Jean Griffin became Captain and re-formed the 1st Malvern GB.  The 1st Malvern BB restarted in 1988 under its Captain Mr Paul Hern. 1st Malvern GB stopped in 2008 when the Captain retired and the Girls' Brigade re-commenced under its Captain Mr Paul Hern in February 2009 adopting the title 7th Malvern GB as the 1st Malvern name plate was not available.







 

 


Images © The Brigades 2015